What is PCOS/PCOD?
PCOD stands for polycystic ovary disorder and PCOS stands for polycystic ovary syndrome.
It is a disorder that mainly affects the women’s reproductive organs that produce progesterone and estrogen which helps in the regulation of the menstrual cycle and maintenance of the proper hormonal balance. PCOS/ PCOD is a very common problem affecting women around the world. This affects about 10% of the women around the world. This needs proper attention from the gynecologist
PCOD is a disease in which the ovaries of women produce immature or partially mature eggs, and these are produced in a large number and then they become cysts in ovaries with time. Whereas PCOS is a metabolism-related disorder in which women are affected by the hormonal imbalance in the reproductive years which usually ranges between 12-50 or varies from woman to woman. In PCOS, there is an increase in the male hormone levels in the women due to which the women experience many effects like skipping menstrual periods, having irregular ovulation, growth of abnormal facial hairs and on the body, also it can lead to diabetes and heart diseases in the long run. PCOS is referred to as a proper and serious medical condition. This condition also can prevail in women and the women might not know about it. It should be treated by a gynecologist at the earliest.
Signs and symptoms of PCOS/PCOD-
The signs and symptoms of both PCOS and PCOS are somewhat similar and they can range from-
- Oligomenorrhea (irregular menstruation)
- Amenorrhea (absence or skipped menstruation)
- Excessive hair growth (hair growth can be on the face, body including on the back and the chest)
- Hair loss
- Weight gain is a very prominent side effect of PCOD/PCOS.
- Skin darkening (skin darkening can be seen on the neck, groin, under the breasts, etc.)
- Infertility is also seen in women who are suffering from PCOD/PCOS
- Oily skin
- Mood swings and depression
All these signs and symptoms are caused by the hormonal changes caused in the PCOD/PCOS. These signs and symptoms should be managed at the earliest possible. We at Mriga healthcare have an expert team of gynecologists and dieticians who can help you manage your signs and symptoms efficiently and keep them from flaring up.
Causes of PCOD/PCOS –
What is the exact cause of the PCOD/PCOS isn’t known and the doctors couldn’t pinpoint one cause? Doctors believe that excess male hormones affect the hormonal balance and prevent the ovaries from producing hormones and maturing the eggs normally. Some factors like genes, insulin resistance, inflammation, etc.
Recent studies and research have shown that PCOS runs in families. It will be more common that many genes carry the PCOD/PCOS rather than only one. Familial hereditary is one of the major causative factors of PCOD/PCOS.
Higher levels of male hormones/androgens –
High levels of androgens present in the ovaries prevent them to release the eggs which cause irregular menstruation. Irregular menstruation can also cause the formation of cysts inside the fluid-filled sacs with time. Higher androgens levels can also cause acne and excess hair growth in women which is a major symptom of PCOD/PCOS. Thus, higher levels of male hormones play a major role in causing PCOD/PCOS.
Insulin resistance –
Increased insulin resistance can cause a plethora of problems. Increased insulin resistance can cause the ovaries to produce a greater number of male hormones which are known as androgens. Increased male hormones in turn lead to suppression of ovulation and contribute to the symptoms of PCOS. Insulin resistance means that you aren’t correctly processing insulin. This means the blood sugar level of your body is increasing. An increase in the blood sugar level can cause numerous conditions, one of the most prominent is diabetes. Not every individual with elevated blood sugar levels has diabetes but Individuals having insulin resistance can surely have diabetes. Thus, individuals with insulin resistance also are prone to PCOS/PCOD.
People with PCOD/PCOS tend to have a low-grade inflammation in their bodies. Chronic inflammation is also a cause of PCOD/PCOS. The doctor might also ask you to perform a c-reactive protein test. This test will enable you to know the amount of inflammation in your body.
MANAGEMENT OF PCOD/PCOS-
The first and the most important part of the treatment of PCOS is the diagnosis. Certain tests are performed to diagnose whether the patient has PCOD PCOS or not. The healthcare provider will perform a physical exam along with a pelvic exam. The doctor will also order blood tests and other tests to check the status of the hormones of the patient.
The treatment of PCOS/PCOD is based on the symptoms that the patient is experiencing. The treatment varies from person to person.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the most effective approach to managing the symptoms of PCOS and PCOD. A healthy lifestyle includes eating a balanced and nutritious diet along with maintaining a healthy weight, being as active as possible, reducing smoking and drinking, etc. We at Mriga healthcare have proper dieticians that will help you in maintaining a proper weight and will give you diets according to your body type which will help in maintaining the symptoms of PCOS and PCOD.
Losing weight has proved to do wonders for PCOS patients. When patients ask, how will be PCOS be cured, the answer lies in Maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
The loss of excess weight has been linked to an increase in fertility, along with a decrease in insulin resistance and testosterone levels in the patient’s body. This in turn helps in reducing the excessive hair growth and the acne on the patient’s face.
We at Mriga healthcare have well-qualified Yoga instructors that will help you lose weight in no time in a very professional and systematic manner. Our online consultation feature is accessible to all and at every location. You can fight PCOS just by sitting in the comfort of your home.
- Physical activity is also another factor that plays a major role in the treatment and management of PCOS. Women who are more physically active tend to have increased levels of energy and fitness levels as compared to those who are not or are less physically active. Self-confidence and motivation are on another level for such women. Being physically active also improves menstrual regularity and fertility. PCOS will improve when the women do something physically be it yoga, aerobics, and brisk walking. All these tend to improve the symptoms to a very high level. Can yoga cause the symptoms of PCOS/PCOD to decrease? Yes.
- Combination of birth control pills medicinal treatment of PCOS/PCOD involves the ingestion of birth control pills. Pills that have estrogen and progestin decrease the amount of androgen production. Decreased amounts of androgen will lead to facial hair reduction, weight loss, and insulin resistance will decrease too. The symptoms of PCOS/PCOD will massively decrease. Can PCOS be controlled? Yes, with the help of such pills. An alternative to these pills is a skin patch or a vaginal ring. The mechanism of the above works on the same principle as the birth control pills. Regulation of the hormones can also lower the risk of endometrial cancer and regulate the periods as well.
- Progestin therapy- Induction of progestin for about 10 to 14 days for every one to two months can help in the regulation of the periods. One drawback is that the progestin therapy doesn’t improve androgen levels and also won’t prevent pregnancy. There is a progestin-only Minipill that helps in the prevention of pregnancy.
These medications are very helpful in controlling and maintaining the hormone levels of the patient suffering from PCOD and PCOS.
- Metformin- Metformin is a drug that helps in lowering insulin levels. Lowering the insulin levels will help in the lowering of insulin resistance which will in turn decrease the androgen levels. This will help decrease facial hairs, acne, weight gain, etc. To counter the PCOD/PCOS symptoms.
- Depilatories- Depilatories are creams, and gels that help in breaking the Protein structures of the hair so that it falls out of the skin.
Services Offered By Us
We at Mriga healthcare provide the best dietician that will help you with your diet and which will in turn help in managing the symptoms of PCOS/PCOD. We also provide yoga and physiotherapy sessions related to the PCOD/PCOS symptoms. Our expert panel of gynecologists will help the patient manage the symptoms in a very professional and systematic way. Our main aim is the comfort of the patient and the patient should be able to manage her symptoms in a very efficient way. PCOD/PCOS is a disorder difficult to handle by the patients, but with proper guidance and treatment, the disorder can be efficiently managed. Our yoga instructors help the patient not only loose weight but also to improve the flexibility of the patient. Our gynecologists along with the other members of the team will help the patient in every aspect in treating the PCOD/PCOS.
You can avail all our services just by sitting at the comfort of your home and we are just a click away.